GSoC 08 status update

Stefan Schmidt stefan at openmoko.org
Wed Apr 9 15:42:31 CEST 2008

Hello.

As you may know, the extended deadline for submitting applications is
over now.

We like to thank all students for submitting their ideas, answering
questions and taking part in the spirit of contributing to OpenMoko.

We thought that you would perhaps be interested in some numbers. So
here is a small impression of what we got in numbers. :)

In total the OpenMoko project got 64 applications. We had to mark two
of them as ineligible as they had nothing to do with the project.

The residual 62 submissions were from 57 unique students. The idea
with the most applications was, how surprising, the accelerometer
gestures. We got 13 applications for this idea.

Google recieved over 7000 applications this year. This means we have
less then 1% of them. So it slowed down during the extension period.
We had exactly 1% at the first deadline. :)

We have no idea yet how many slots we will get assigned. Two is the
minimum and we had 3 last year. Of course we hope for more this year.
:) Let's see what we get.

regards
Stefan Schmidt