Synchronization

MartinG gronslet at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 16:20:24 CEST 2008

On 4/11/08, ramsesoriginal <ramsesoriginal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM, David Pottage <david at electric-spoon.com> wrote:
>  > On Fri, April 11, 2008 3:57 pm, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Ok, that sounds good. Is this system also supported by "mainstream"
>  applications? I think of the secretary who uses outlook, or maybe
>  thunderbird..
>  Anotehr question is if this would also allow to sync other infromation
>  like geodata/tags, feed list (and the read/unread status of the
>  feeds), etc.. is there already some standard for that, or would we
>  have to start from scratch?

For contacts, calendar, todos, etc. there is a project called opensync
which is very promising. I used it while it was named multisync, but
they decided to rewrite the whole thing from scratch to make it easier
to develop. It is pluginbased now. I think KDE 4 will support opensync
through kitchensync/akonadi. It is still in beta, but I think a new
release will be out soon.

"OpenSync is a synchronization framework that is platform and
distribution independent."

www.opensync.org

For the geodata I think the opensync developers are thinking of some
sort of generel file synchronization as well, maybe using rsync as a
plugin to opensync, but I'm not sure about that.

Clearly, a device running openmoko must be the simplest device
thinkable to develop a synchronization tool for, as one can tune bits
on both sides. (I'm not saying it will be trivial though...)

-MartinG