FreeRunner Pricing and PVT update

steve steve at
Mon Apr 14 01:13:16 CEST 2008

  This is a very difficult issue. . Let me Nutshell it.

  1. We have a custom charger that can fast charge the phone.
  2. Standard usb chargers will work just fine.

Some people want the custom charger and they want access to custom
Some people want the custom charger and they will live with a standard
Some people philosophically believe we shouldn't do custom chargers.

So, I get to sort through this. But to begin with the early adopters, the
Who buy the phone first, will get a fast charger.

-----Original Message-----
From: community-bounces at
[mailto:community-bounces at] On Behalf Of Shawn Rutledge
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2008 1:11 PM
To: List for Openmoko community discussion
Subject: Re: FreeRunner Pricing and PVT update

On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 9:44 AM, steve <steve at> wrote:
>  The STANDARD box contents will be a Phone and Battery. I expect to
> add some  other goodies, but only for the first few thousand buyers.

If the phone can be charged with a Motorola charger, I'm personally fine
with saving some money and you leaving it out of the box.  (And the chargers
can be had cheaply on ebay etc.)  But if it requires a special one then I
would want to see the charger included.  And a car charger must be made
available, too.  A desktop charger would be nice to have but I guess the
Nokia one will work, right?  Requiring the phone to be charged only from a
PC is not practical when you expect this phone to be for (advanced) users
too, not just developers, right?

Likewise if the connector is to be something other than mini-usb, including
a USB cable might be a good idea.

Openmoko community mailing list
community at