Target Market (was: Re: Charger?)

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at
Mon Apr 14 18:25:13 CEST 2008

On 4/14/08, Lowell Higley <higleylh at> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:01 AM, thomasg <thomas at> wrote:
> >>Well, you'll get used to it :)
> >>USB-Charging is fine. You can use a standard usb-wallcharger as well as
> any mini-usb cable or usb-carchargers and so on.
> I know this isn't the case, but if were to HAVE to plug it into a
> computer, it would be a deal killer for me. I haven't been home in over a
> month.  I am a road warrior (I spend 80% of my time on the road) and I don't
> always have the option to pull out my laptop to charge my phone. Make sense?

And I only charge my current phone from my laptop. An extra charger is no
use to me.

I'm going to change the topic a little bit.  I'm a little concerned about
> the direction of these messages.  It seems like the thought that goes into
> them isn't that consumer focused.  It's more personal opinion based than
> anything else, personal preference. My original statement was to reflect the
> thought of what a consumer expects (not want) in a phone they buy.  I know
> for now this is still a geeky device for those of like that like cool tech
> toys.  But isn't the end goal to create a device that end consumers would
> want to buy?  I see mentions here and there but I don't see a concerted
> effort to make this a consumer device one day.  That was what I was trying
> to say more than, "hey, I have to have a wall charger."

Right now we are focusing on the developer release. That is for geeks, not

Let me give you another example... I've probably showed 20 people pics of
> the Neo1973.  You want to know what I hear?  "Man, that's ugly!"  That's
> what I hear every time.  Now you're thinking "so what? it's functional".
> You and I may not care what it looks like, but consumers do.  I'm guessing
> no focus group was done by FIC way back when as the prototype was created.
> It was a bunch of techie/engineering types that generally have no clue what
> consumers want. I can say that because I used to be one of those techie
> types that focused on the technology versus the requirements of the
> customer.  I'm not trying to bash the team in any respect.. They've done a
> great job pioneering the first "freed phone".  Just maybe the consumer isn't
> their/our focus?  And if not, will it ever be?

I love the design. People have different taste.

The bottom line is who is the target market for this product?  That's who I
> am always going to answer questions for.  Anyways, I digress.  I'm sure I'll
> get a few barbs/flames out of this one.

I think the focus on a market product can really begin when all the
developers got their phone. Now the focus must be on the developers.

Please don't send me Word or PowerPoint attachments. See

Join the FSF as an Associate Member at: