Target Market (was: Re: Charger?)

Lowell Higley higleylh at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 06:24:23 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Marcus Bauer <marcus.bauer at gmail.com>
wrote:
>>My personal view is looking at the Neo as a Linux computer and not just
>>as a phone - this opens a completely different perspective: as such the
>>Neo is an absolutely unique device. There is only one similar device
>>which is the N810 but it lacks the GSM modem.

If you use that rational with Voda, Orange, T-Mobile, AT&T, not to mention
an end consumer, I would expect you to get either a) a deer in the headlight
look or b) immense laughter.  I'm not trying to demean what you are saying.
For you the value is a cool Linux handheld that is completely open and
supported.  To you, there is strong value in that.  Carriers and, more
importantly, end consumers could care less about those things and thus don't
see value in them.  If it's not flashy and cool.. (which it most definitely
could be) they aren't interested.  Bottom line.  That was all I was trying
to say.

I've spent a great portion of my adult life in both engineering and
marketing roles in hi-tech companies.  I've seen the blunders made when
engineers lead the project with no marketing input.  I've seen really cool
products stay on the shelf because they simply didn't meet consumers'
requirements.  Why? Because engineers usually don't talk to customers.
That's what would happen with the current version of the Neo, in my
opinion.  Before you deliver a product to a customer, you need to first
ascertain what it is they want.  We've done a good job of that within the
community... but failed miserably outside the community.  IMHO.

I think that's all I will say for now.  Please don't hurt me. :)