Colored cases, etc - Was Re: FreeRunner Pricing and PVT update

steve steve at openmoko.com
Wed Apr 16 20:50:35 CEST 2008

Well, you actualy have to design the case to allow painting.

Paint has THICKNESS. So if you look at the clearence for buttons, you would
have one clearence
for a non painted plastic and a bigger clearence for a painted plastic part.

I have made this mistake before, when I wanted to change colors at the last
minute and the painted plastic
parts didnt exactly provide the types of clearences ( etc) that you need.
All that said, there are parts on FR
that could be painted without ruining fit and function.  The back cover,
and front cover

The middle part which houses the UBS, ext ant, etc etc, is the part I would
worry about painting, because
of the clearence problem for the connectors and buttons that are brought out
through that plane of the device.

  _____