openmoko roadmap

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Wed Apr 16 20:57:30 CEST 2008

Speaking realistically, it's impossible for Openmoko to reveal that
information and no have it hurt sales, for EXACTLY the reason you
mentioned. As a support (and Neo1973 owner) I debated with this
myself. Why pay for a phone today when I KNOW the "newer" model is
around the corner?

At the same time, Openmoko walked right into this since NOT revealing
this is going to levy charges of "You're not being open like you said
you would."

Frankly, I want a phone powered by Free Software. If Openmoko needs to
conceal future product plans to ensure that, so be it.

In a little bit of a less "objective" based answer and a more "reality
based" answer:

Openmoko Inc. is a "young" company. So far they've not released their
debut product to the market they intend to. In a very real way, how
well Freerunner does will deterime what, if ANYTHING, happens to
future products that Openmoko kicks out. If they make 100x more units
than they sell, there won't BE a "next time".

Simple, concise and efficient answer: If you want a GTA03, buy a
GTA02. Failure to do so is failure to ensure there will be a future
model.