GSM antenna modification

Erland Lewin erland at
Thu Apr 17 09:54:14 CEST 2008

A couple of questions about the GSM antenna:

* the arced plastic, is it just a 'filler' to mount the metal antenna on? It
doesn't have some sort of core that is functionally important to the

* If one were to make a custom case for the Freerunner, could the metal
parts of the GSM antenna be taken off the arced plastic, and, say, be placed
straight, decreasing the size of the phone?

I realize that this would probably invalidate the SAR tests, and maybe
FCC/CE certification. Just hypothetically ;-) I'd be interested in knowing
the answers anyway.