Atheros will go upstream

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 23:04:19 CEST 2008

On 4/17/08, Daniel Willmann <daniel at openmoko.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:48:37 +0200
> "Flemming Richter Mikkelsen" <quatrox at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I guess all of you already have read this:
> > https://lists.ath5k.org/pipermail/ath5k-devel/2008-April/000850.html
> >
> > but it is so nice that I wanted to make sure:)
> >
> > Maybe this means that we can use AP, monitor and other modes some
> > day:)
>
> while that is good news for me (I'm stuck with madwifi drivers on my
> Thinkpad at the moment) the chip in the Neo is ar6k and it's not a
> SoftMAC.
>
> Regards,
> Daniel Willmann

Maybe it is not impossible, but I think it will take a long time:

>From http://labs.o-hand.com/2008/02/05/openmoko-wifi-driver/ :
"Andrzej Zaborowski
April 17th, 2008 at 1:06 pm
The protocol provides commands for reading and writing of wlan chip's
memory (RAM) before the firmware boots, through "Bootloader Messaging
Interface". That means that you can run your own programs on the chip
even if you can't write them to ROM.

Other BMI commands include things like installing and uninstalling ROM
patches, but I don't know about any documentation on how these patches
should look."

The mac addr. is stored in RAM so it should be technically possible