which applications are usable

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sat Apr 19 02:49:19 CEST 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:10:29 -0400 "Kevin Dean" <kevin at foreverdean.info>
babbled:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Bastian Muck <bastian.muck at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >  To this i have a little question. I didn't find the ESC-key (which is
> > essentially in vi(m)) and i also didn't find the CTRL-key. Whithout this a
> > simple tail can make you to kill the hole window.
>
> The current keyboard in the Openmoko images is not the keyboard that
> will be shipped. The full QWERTY keyboard had a bug that broke
> important functions, so the multi-tap input was dropped in as a
> replacement. Because this doesn't have a (-) or a CTRL or a / key,
> it's essentially useless for terminal.
>
> Raster is working on a replacement keyboard. When it ends up in the
> images is unknown.

if people checked illume - it's all already in svn. it allows for custom
keyboard layouts - they are simply text files where you can lay-out any keys
you like. don't like the default one? edit it! :) it has dictionary correction
ability based on lookup matching, nearby key fuzz and word usage frequency for
normal "english" test entry (sorry code right now is not utf-8 clean and it is
missing a clean string char (utf8) <-> keysym mapping table), but it's there
and works fairly well for TEXT entry. it is CAPABLE of being a full qwerty
keyboard - yes including ctrl, alt, escape etc. just via a keyboard layout file.

code is in svn for illume. feel free to try it :)