Don't ship GTA02v5 without the rework
kevin at foreverdean.info
Sat Apr 19 03:57:13 CEST 2008
I have to say, I'm baffled by that sentiment. GTA02v5 is fully
functional, the only "problem" is that it's not as efficient as it
could be, just like every other product on the planet.
For those saying "wait another month" I've got a different arguement -
let's NOT hire people to make the changes, purchase the equipment
needed to do it. If a missing transistor is really upsetting someone
that much, the open nature of Openmoko works in your favor because you
can wait until the units you consider "defective" are sold out. I, for
one, don't want to pay the costs (and I will, if Openmoko decides to
wait and add the transistor for goodwill) that will be incurred and
spread over the rest of the product line. I'm QUITE happy to take a v5
and go along on my merry way.
It is quite possible to make your statement by NOT purchasing a v5
unit and waiting for a v6. Choosing to wait yourself, without passing
the delay and costs onto everyone else is the most ethical, polite way
to solve the problem.
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Steven Le Roux <steven at le-roux.info> wrote:
> I totally agree with you.
> I understand everybody is happy to see the neo coming, but don't forget the
> goal :) : to provides the best free phones.
> It wouldn't be pleasant for us to by a phone, knowing there is a known issue
> with optimisation of power consumption and LED stuff..
> I understand the rush ;) but we can wait...
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 2:26 AM, Ron K. Jeffries <rjeffries at gmail.com>
> > OpenMoko team:
> > It's crazy to consider shipping the GTA02v5 without the rework
> > to solve the current leakage issue.
> > Yes, people are REALLY anxious to get this phone. But shipping
> > a few thousand of units that do not meet spec on standby time
> > is a Bad Idea.
> > pull up your socks and do the rework
> > if that delays launch by 30 days so be it.
> > besides the firmware will be better by then as well. ;)
> > -ron jeffries.
> > CONTEXT:
> > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> > From: "Shawn Rutledge" <shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com>
> > To: "List for Openmoko community discussion"
> <community at lists.openmoko.org>
> > Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:30:59 -0700
> > Subject: Re: Freerunner will be GTA02v5 or GTA02v6? (was: Fwd: Future
> Button and LED software spec)
> > On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Flemming Richter Mikkelsen
> > <quatrox at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > It sounds to me as the problem is easy for those of us that knows a
> > > electronics. If I get one that leaks current, I will start soldering!
> > >
> > >
> > > Does anybody know if the fix Werner is talking about, will be done for
> > > GTA02v5 PCB's? If it really will be a fix for it, it will not be any
> > > at all.
> > Yes maybe it can be fixed. But is the fix documented yet?
> > Another way to look at it: if the fix can be done without a PCB
> > change, then why not get the factory to do the rework (swapping
> > transistors or whatever) before they are shipped? How much would it
> > cost to get that done in China?
> > --
> > Ron K. Jeffries
> > http://blog.eronj.com
> > http://twitter.com/RonKJeffries
> > _______________________________________________
> > Openmoko community mailing list
> > community at lists.openmoko.org
> > http://lists.openmoko.org/mailman/listinfo/community
> Steven Le Roux
> Jabber-ID : Steven at jabber.fr
> Openmoko community mailing list
> community at lists.openmoko.org
More information about the community