SIM Toolkit (STK) in openmoko? (was Re: "home zone" functionality)

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Sat Apr 19 14:03:58 CEST 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008 01:26:59 Kiro Zimmer wrote:
> resulting from the question how the "home zome" functionality works, now
> is clear that all newer phones use the SIM toolkit (STK) to display the
> "house" on the phone. It seems to me, the AT+CRSM command was never the
> official way to get these information. This lead to the question:
>
> Does openmoko support STK?
>
> One year ago Harald Welte wrote to the same question in [1]
>
> "We don't support SIM toolkit yet, since we don't think it's a high
> important item at all.  In fact, it's not even on our roadmap, similar
> to MMS." [...]
>
> "Those documents are confidential by TI. Also, we currently need all
> our 'communication bandwidth' with TI for other issues."
>
> So we will probably never see the house on the neo/freerunner :-((

GSM 11.14 is a can of worms. It ties into a lot of subsystems all over the
device. While Openmoko is still experimenting with and working on these
subsystems (let alone UI), it makes no sense thinking about implementing
11.14. However, once the middleware has been stabilized (hopefully towards
autumn this year), someone could actually think about that.

If some operator wants that and provides a clean patch using the middleware
services -- which would be a requirement, we don't want STK circumvent
that -- then I see no problems with accepting such a patch. I don't see
Openmoko doing anytime soon though.

:M: