Freerunner and Earthquakes

Brandon Kruger bmk789 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 23:02:35 CEST 2008

After recently having a 5.2 earthquake here in the Midwest, I realized the
potential in the Openmoko for detecting/pinpointing earthquakes.  What this
is mostly dependant on is the accuracy of the accelerometers in the
Freerunner.  From what I've read, Macbooks' accelerometers and detect and
measure earthquakes fairly accurately. [1]  If the Freerunner's
accelerometers are precise enough and it could be attached to a fixed ground,
we could use GPS to retreive an accurate location and record and upload
accelerometer data to a database.  Many different devices running this could
provide intensity levels at many different locations and (at least fairly
accurately), pinpoint an epicenter.  This data could become useful to
researchers and would provide information about an earthquake faster than
almost any news network would provide.

Thoughts?

[1] http://www.suitable.com/tools/seismac.html

--