Freerunner and Earthquakes

Richard Guest quiffman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 23:29:50 CEST 2008

Yeah, it's an interesting idea.
I read something similar on Evil Mad Scientist
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/seismometry2

The detection/pinpointing part requires both accurate detection of shaking
and timing - obviously the timing is critical for triangulation.

I think the *cool* factor for something like this would be the ability to
measure a persons actual physical experience of an earthquake. There are
*lots* of existing seismometers that will do the *fixed* point detection a
whole lot better, but none (that I know of) that will be (relatively)
unobtrusive to the users daily life and still give an actual measurement of
physical shaking intensity.

You shouldn't have to wait that long for e/q info... In New Zealand the news
media mostly regurgitate what we post on http://www.geonet.org.nz/
There's near-realtime shaking info on the front page, and if there's
actually an earthquake people can submit a "Felt Report" to tell us how they
experienced it.
It would be really cool to see how a personal accelerometer trace correlates
to the fuzzy-logic of the felt report!

End thoughts...

--
Rich