99

ramsesoriginal ramsesoriginal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 15:57:08 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Brandon Kruger <bmk789 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun April 20 2008 8:29:01 pm Nick Guenther wrote:
>  > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 8:19 PM, Brandon Kruger <bmk789 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > > On Sun April 20 2008 7:27:06 pm Kevin Dean wrote:
>  > >  > I'm happy paying $399 for all ye who feel the need to pay $400 to make
>  > >  > it even. :P Though, I'll hop on the even bandwagon if it's dropped as
>  > >  > long as Openmoko makes profit. :)
>  > >  >
>  > >  > If you really want to pay more, you could set up a "Tip a Developer"
>  > >  > program...
>  > >  >
>  > >  > -Kevin
>  > >  >
>  > >  > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Daniel Selinger <slite at gmx.at> wrote:
>  > >  > > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:11:59 +0200
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  "Alexey Feldgendler" <alexey at feldgendler.ru> wrote:
>  > >  > >  > The prices for GTA02 and the debug board are $399 and $99,
>  > >  > >  > respectively. While there's nothing wrong with charging exactly
>  > >  > >  > 99 dollars for something, the practice of reducing a round price
>  > >  > >  > by one dollar, AKA
>  > >  > >  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_pricing> is often
>  > >  > >  > associated with cheap marketing tricks, trying to make the price
>  > >  > >  > look less than it is and so on. In my opinion, admitting that a
>  > >  > >  > hundred is a hundred and charging $400 and $100 for GTA02 and the
>  > >  > >  > debug board would fit better into the OpenMoko spirit of openness
>  > >  > >  > and transparency. Especially when most of the other prices out
>  > >  > >  > there end with 95 or 99, a round price tag will send a message:
>  > >  > >  > "We're honest with you and aren't messing with your mind like
>  > >  > >  > others do".
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  nice thought
>  > >  > >  /sign
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >
>  > >  > >  _______________________________________________
>  > >  > >  Openmoko community mailing list
>  > >  > >  community at lists.openmoko.org
>  > >  >
>  > >  > _______________________________________________
>  > >  > Openmoko community mailing list
>  > >  > community at lists.openmoko.org
>  > >
>  > >  This "tip a programmer" idea is very interesting.  What does the
>  > > community think about setting up a site where people can say "We'll each
>  > > donate x amount once y feature is integrated" or something of the sort.
>  > > This way, Openmoko can see what features are most important to the
>  > > community and the community would be able to donate to OM to help develop
>  > > and research future products.
>  >
>  > No, don't do this! For one, the overhead of managing that is and
>  > making sure all the details are fair to everyone is too much for what
> [...]

Ok, so first, i also would like to see 400$ instead of 399$, because
it's simply a matter of being honest.

Then the bounty for code: i would rather see bountyes for bugfixes:
everyoen likes to implement new features, but nobody lieks maintaining
code. Another way of "Bounty for developers" that I really would like
is that the developers put there hoem adress somewhere in the wiki,
and then the user who like the feature can send him a postcard/thank
you card. A bit like Linus Torvalds originally made for Linux. That's
something that really would push me, as a developer, to do more. Maybe
it would help even more then a sporadic 5$ on my paypal account.

And for the openmoko subscription/club/frequent buyers: This coul be a
really great idea. A yearly membership fee, but for three
recommendations you get it for free (so if I recommend the phone to
three people i get the membership for free), and members get access to
a membership card, a pouch and a special homepage, where they can
browse all openmoko community created products and maybe get a 10%
discount or something like that. And at the yearly OpenmokoCon (and we
sure are going to make it, aren't we?) the members get reserved places
at the talks :D

Jsut my two EuroCents

--
My corner of the web: http://blog.ramsesoriginal.org