Openmoko sounds, Motto

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Tue Apr 22 02:11:50 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Georg Michelitsch <gm_ail at gmx.at> wrote:

>  Concerning the soundset (if I understood right you meant something like a
> standard sound for the phone-startup as a lot of other companies pratice) I
> think a human voice saying "Openmoko - Open mobile communication" would be a
> nice alternation to "Free your phone" or "open. mobile. free" .. Even if I
> like the last two better as a motto I think that the first one suits better
> for some kind of system sound..

I personally think a human voice is a bad choice. There's NO point in
making a universal sound if it won't be universally understood.
Openmoko's uses may well extend beyond those we think of right now
which may extend into areas that wouldn't recognize (or worse, would
find offensive) a human voice. I recall someone once raising the
question of "Would a south east asian rice farmer understand the
meaning of the house icon, given that his house looks nothing like
it?"