Freerunner AC adaptor

David Pottage david at electric-spoon.com
Tue Apr 22 10:06:40 CEST 2008

On Tue, April 22, 2008 5:19 am, Jeremy List wrote:
> I would be very surprised if there was any law in New Zealand against
> importing things with foreign power plugs as a few years ago I bought a
> palm treo which required an adaptor.
>
> Adaptors for devices which have the wrong shape of plug but don't mind
> 240V AC @ 50Hz are much cheaper and more efficient than ones which
> actually convert the electricity to whatever voltage is standard in the
> U.S. When I finally get a freerunner, would I fry the charger and/or the
> phone by using that kind of power supply?

I doubt this will be a problem. If you look at the photograph of the
charger and it's adapters. You can see that the charger has flat prongs
for American sockets, and that two adapters are supplied. On the top right
is an adapter with two round pins suitable for most parts of western
Europe. On the bottom right is one with three rectangular prongs for the
UK and some former British colonies such as India.

These days most wall wart adapters are switch mode power supplies and can
handle a large range of voltages, so I would be quite surprised if the
Freerunner one can't, though obviously I will check the rating printed on
it before I plug it into the mains for the first time.

http://quickstart.openmoko.org/photographs/usbChargerAdapters1.jpg

--
David Pottage

Error compiling committee.c To many arguments to function.