[GSM] Geolocating

Lucas Bonnet lbonnet at bearstech.com
Wed Apr 23 13:57:08 CEST 2008

Hello guys,

  during one of my presentation of the Openmoko project, I mentionned
the ability to know which GSM cell the Neo is connected to. This allows
some approximate geolocating, provided you know the position of the GSM
cells. It could be useful in an urban environment, where GPS isn't very
helpful (walls, narrow streets, etc.).

Then another question arised: during a call, would it be possible to
know the GSM cell of the other phone? Is there a way to know this, even
if it requires Neos on both sides?

I'm not a GSM expert, so I don't know how this works, does anyone here
have an answer? Would that be technically feasible for the Neo to
communicate its GSM CellId during a call, for instance for automatic
treatment on the other side?

Regards,
--
Lucas Bonnet