[GSM] Geolocating

Andy Powell openmoko at automated.it
Wed Apr 23 21:13:05 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 18:40, Feydreva wrote:
> Have a look at theses 2 projects :
> http://www.eppenga.com/gg-tracker/
> and
> http://www.aspicore.com/en/tuotteet_tracker.asp?tab=2&sub=2
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Sander Hoentjen <sander at hoentjen.eu>
>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 14:17 +0200, Marc-Olivier Barre wrote:
> > > On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Lucas Bonnet <lbonnet at bearstech.com>

<snip>

> > > Well the key concept here is "provided you know the position of the
> > > GSM cells". Now, you might try to call you operators customer support
> > > asking them "Hi, could you send me a copy of your hardware database
> > > please ?", but I doubt you would get a positive answer, *if* they even
> > > bother to answer...
> >
> > I think http://celldb.org/ is trying to solve this problem.
> >
> > Sander

The problem with ALL of the sites that are doing this is non provide access to
the entire db. You can search and add data, but you can't have your own
server. Personally I want to see a freely available db that users contribute
to rather than a closed db that you get some access to and the site owner
sells everyone else's effort..

</still bitter about cddb>

--

Andy / ScaredyCat