Video Playback virtually impossible on Neo Freerunner? (Re: Video of Qt 4.4 on Neo1973: brings iPhone like graphics)

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Thu Apr 24 15:12:53 CEST 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:00:33 +0200 (CEST) David Samblas Martinez
<dsamblas at yahoo.es> babbled:

> I know and I'm sorry if I was missunderstood I'm not
> complaining about I will be unable to play video, I
> complaining about Have a 640x480 resolution screen and
> not able to play at 640x480 resolution.

no. but it can SCALE lower resolution video UP to 640x480. see my other mails.

> Well more than complaining about this is that I
> believe that with that cpu and graphical power I will
> be able to do that, maybe not now but developing the
> glamo drivers it would be posible, but today I realize
> that is a bus issue so no matter how much Hz and
> features drivers had read the sd and play
> 640x480x25fps at time doesn't fit in the "pipe", and
> we cannot change the tube.
> But again is all about my own expectations and the
> ignorace about the shared sd/graphics bus issue.
>
> Cuestions:,
> It will be able to play full screen at 480*320*25=5.6
> m/s ?
> 1.4 M/s is enought to read the video on the sd at same
> time??

see my other mail. 320x240 at 30fps is not possible. off sd card about 19fps is
the limit @ 320x240. 21fps if from internal flash. i did actual tests. mpeg4
video.

> I if I not wrong mp4 ratio is 16:1 so 1.4*16=22.4 max

depends on your compression quality. can be anything.

> raw video data in the 1.4 pipe so seems to be enough
> even for a less cpu eater video compresion.

nup. did benchmarks. you need cpu for the DECODE. every second u spend copying
data to video ram (the cpu does the copy - there is no usable dma. while the
cpu copies - it is not decoding). so if you fill up the glamo bus (7m/s) u will
do 0 decoding.