Video Playback virtually impossible on Neo Freerunner? (Re: Video of Qt 4.4 on Neo1973: brings iPhone like graphics)

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at
Thu Apr 24 15:49:02 CEST 2008

to, 2008-04-24 kello 19:20 +0800, Carsten Haitzler kirjoitti:
> the graphics chip (glamo) can decode mpeg4
> itself, but we dont have the time or resources to do this properly ourselves.
> you are free to do it yourself as we provide all the code, but you would need to
> reverse-engineer the graphics chip or hope that graphics documentation can be
> made public. right now you need an NDA to see the docs.

Righto. Of course, I'll be still buying the phone regardless, but I
would hope OM toss some resources this way _after_ getting the system
otherwise mass-market operational (or yeah, at least get the mpeg
decoding part independently and publicly documented as was alluded to as
a possibility with the glamo anyway). Leaving it totally unsupported in
these conditions would be somewhat downletting. (Again, talking extended
duration here, I don't mind it being unsupported for now.)

And for my two cents, screw "properly" if it gets too much in the way. A
device node that takes ioctls for geometry and mpeg-4 packets to decode?
If that's what it takes to get the functionality... And hey, any crappy
implementation would at least provide information for Somebody Else to
perhaps make it cleaner.

Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at     - <URL:>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:>
Singularitarian - SIAI supporter - <URL:>