Newbee ..- encrypted calls/SMS

Crane, Matthew mcrane03 at
Fri Apr 25 15:57:43 CEST 2008

It does not take full encryption to ensure privacy.  Privacy being that
without the inverse transform:

- words are not resolvable
- voices cannot be matched to the callers
- any aproxmized inverse performed by a third party would result in
something that is not usable in a legal context.

Really, voice calls have to be pretty clear as is for transcripts to be
admitted in court.  There is large leeway given to legal entities
producing transcripts, with interpretation of mumbles and the selection
of what parts of the conversations that are transcribed (e.g. marking
conversations as "unintelligble" that are favourable to the person being

But I expect you're right, it's too difficult and not practical.  Not
compared with the alternatives.  I like secure VOIP initiated from
encrypted SMS.  A wireless connection is always available in a big city.
Once the IP addresses have been transmitted securely the conversation is
anonymous and no record will exist, even of the duration of the

-----Original Message-----
From: community-bounces at
[mailto:community-bounces at] On Behalf Of Ian Stirling
Sent: Friday, April 25, 2008 9:24 AM
To: List for Openmoko community discussion
Subject: Re: Newbee ..- encrypted calls/SMS

Crane, Matthew wrote:
> Yes, I understand that, that is why I'm thinking of this approach.  My
> idea was to use analog voice transforms and their inverse with
> properties that would preserve most of the codec performance.  But it
> would be awfully difficult to sync up the inverse on the other end
> without a data connection, I expect that with voice calls that delay
> be added and removed without warning.

There are no simple voice transforms at all that will get through the
codec, and actually encrypt.
Voice changing is possible, but encryption is not.

You _cannot_ - for example - exepect frequency inversion - to get
through the codec chain.

Openmoko community mailing list
community at