Newbee ..- encrypted calls/SMS

Crane, Matthew mcrane03 at harris.com
Fri Apr 25 15:57:43 CEST 2008

It does not take full encryption to ensure privacy.  Privacy being that
without the inverse transform:

- words are not resolvable
- voices cannot be matched to the callers
- any aproxmized inverse performed by a third party would result in
something that is not usable in a legal context.

Really, voice calls have to be pretty clear as is for transcripts to be
admitted in court.  There is large leeway given to legal entities
producing transcripts, with interpretation of mumbles and the selection
of what parts of the conversations that are transcribed (e.g. marking
conversations as "unintelligble" that are favourable to the person being
investigated).

But I expect you're right, it's too difficult and not practical.  Not
compared with the alternatives.  I like secure VOIP initiated from
encrypted SMS.  A wireless connection is always available in a big city.
Once the IP addresses have been transmitted securely the conversation is
anonymous and no record will exist, even of the duration of the
conversation.

Matt