Video Playback virtually impossible on Neo Freerunner? (Re: Video of Qt 4.4 on Neo1973: brings iPhone like graphics)

Tom Cooksey thomas.cooksey at
Mon Apr 28 10:20:24 CEST 2008

On Thursday 24 April 2008 13:20:12 Carsten Haitzler wrote:

> again - we could do better if we limited ourselves to just mpeg4 (which is what
> almost all phones do - they do only 1 codec or maybe 2), but the problem here
> is that xv does not provide a way to do this sanely (stream just mpeg4 data to
> x so it decodes in hardware). the graphics chip (glamo) can decode mpeg4
> itself, but we dont have the time or resources to do this properly ourselves.

So don't use xv? Implement VAAPI (
which does provide an API for streaming MPEG4 streams to hardware. If you had a
DRM module for the glamo, couldn't you use it to send MPEG4 encoded video frames
to the glamo by packing them into BOs?

I guess you'd also need to modify DRI to coordinate with the x server?

I know it's not going to happen because of time constraints, but wouldn't this be
a better option than trying to bend xv into doing something it doesn't want to do?