Video Playback virtually impossible on Neo Freerunner? (Re: Video of Qt 4.4 on Neo1973: brings iPhone like graphics)

Ian Stirling OpenMoko at mauve.plus.com
Mon Apr 28 13:58:33 CEST 2008

ramsesoriginal wrote:
> I think this would be great..
> Ideally it would not decode it completely, but simply encode the video
> with some simpler compression...
>
> Another question: if we skip sound, would the decoding be faster? By how much?

As a datapoint, most VCD class mpegs/avis I had around played just fine.
(150kilobytes/second, 320*240 or so).
Yes, they framedropped a bit, and ended up around 15-18fps.

Without audio, it's much smoother, as audio decoding - in the mp3 case -
used about 25% CPU.

If the GTA01 would do rotation in hardware, then dropping to QVGA mode
would be completely adequate.
Of course, it can't - but this gives some idea.