Video Playback virtually impossible on Neo Freerunner? (Re:Video of Qt 4.4 on Neo1973: brings iPhone like graphics)

t3st3r t3st3r at mail.ru
Tue Apr 29 14:04:25 CEST 2008

Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> On ma, 2008-04-28 at 09:26 -0500, Tim Shannon wrote:
>> But isn't it still limited by the bandwidth available from the micro
>> SD card?  Maybe I misunderstood that.

> Yes it is. It's just that sending mpeg4 packets to the glamo takes just
> a _tiny_ bit less bandwidth than sending entire uncompressed frames.
> (Also the CPU will have more time to spend for doing the I/O.)
But anyway I have to admit that n800 which has comparable resources (400MHz ARM11, quite big 800x480 screen with quite data slow output, SD\MMC cards which causes a decent load on CPU on heavy I\O, etc) is able to play videos with Mplayer pretty nice.Virtually any MP4 of "internet quality" plays well.And even lots of CD-sized DIVX movies (someone calls this "DVD rip") are OK without recoding, though they're wasting lots of space on card and you may want to re-rip DVDs with more optimal parameters set or recode (the only hardware cheat is hardware picture resizing which takes no CPU cycles).Actually, video looks quite good and I'm pretty sure that such things as Neo *can* play videos.At least some of them.As for hardware decoders I have to mention that they tend to be picky in what they're willing to decode and what thy're refuse to decode.Actually, n800's DSP MP3 decoder for example refuses to decode certain MP3 streams."True" hardware decoders are often even more picky and people usually hate that.Software decoders are less picky and willing to play much more formats and even semi-bugged or semi-damaged data (and once there is waste numbers of codecs on planet, you'll encounter such crap sooner or later).