.Mac like service

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 03:29:25 CEST 2008

2008/4/30 Shawn Rutledge <shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  my list starts with:
>  >  *backing up phone settings, including list of installed packages (in
>  >  case i need to re-install everything)
>  >  *backing up e-mails/text messages
>  >  *storing gps coords in case the phone's stolen/lost
>  >  *backup/storage of any other arbitrary files
>
>  You would want it to be a commercial service like .mac, with a
>  subscription fee and guaranteed reliable service, and use GPRS to
>  access it?  Or you would want to just do that stuff with your own PC?

they could provide multiple levels of service - a free one that can
store gps coords, sms (say, 50MB storage) which isn't supported
or a paid-for service that has more storage space (5GB?), is
supported, has guaranteed service levels, and includes encryption.
similar to xdrive, but good

access would be however i connect to the web - wifi, gprs, usb
connection to my home network, whatever

alternatively, an application to sit on my pc and do all this stuff
locally would be very useful