Warranty after fix for GTA02 GPS rework for SD card interferenceissue

Andreas Bogk andreas at andreas.org
Fri Aug 1 01:28:20 CEST 2008

Brian Wilson schrieb:
> See  http://www.trimble.com/tms/placer450.aspx?dtID=overview
>
> They use a small gyroscope.
[...]
> If you are walking around and want a reasonable position the Kalman
> filter would probably be easier to deal with.
> Is there a mathematician in the house?

I'm not a mathematician, but I think I have sufficiently understood
Kalman filters and dead reckoning.  A little known trick is to use
ordinary integration with the strap-down equation given the
accelerometer and gyro input, and have the Kalman filter model the error
terms instead of the physical model state space.  This way, you only
have to update the Kalman filter every time you get a GPS fix, not every
time you get a measurement from the other sensors.

But... what are our chances GTA03 will have a 3D gyro?

Andreas