Lack of 3G a killer for Australia

Lorn Potter lpotter at
Sat Aug 2 01:52:34 CEST 2008

Dale Maggee wrote:
> In reality, the GSM network in Australia has ample coverage. Blanket
> statements like 'the FreeRunner will not function well as a phone in
> Australia' are patently incorrect.

I would agree. Qtopia for the Neo is developed here in Australia!

> please provide some evidence as to where 'service is declining badly',
> I've *never* heard a story of GSM coverage shrinking, and I know
> multiple people at Telstra.

and several at Trolltech ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HNokia. :)

>  >I've had to get a 3G handset and carrier just to get consistent phone
> reception in my unit and
>  >I know several people who've had to do the same thing.
> Where are you? What GSM carrier are/were you using? what model phone?
> does your building happen to be lead-lined? I find this difficult to
> believe, unless you're somewhere rather remote.

Optus, Virgin(which uses Optus network), Telstra all work well here. In
fact we developed Qtopia using these networks for years.

Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company