Freerunner-powered bike ride

steve steve at
Sat Aug 2 22:43:49 CEST 2008

This community rocks.  Jetskis or hang gliders anyone?

-----Original Message-----
From: community-bounces at
[mailto:community-bounces at] On Behalf Of Konstantin
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 12:55 PM
To: List for Openmoko community discussion
Subject: Re: Freerunner-powered bike ride

Hi there!

> Hi community!
> Just want to drop a line that I today made my first bike ride with a
> Freerunner mounted on the handle bar of my bike. If someone is
> interested I could take some photos to show what the mount-kit looks
> like and how the Freerunner fits in.

[x] Interested! :)

> It's a universal mobile phone bike-mount-kit by LesCars (don't want to
> push the brand, but there are only few mount-kits for bikes out there)
> [1]. All ports (USB, GPS, audio) and the 2 buttons are usable with
> this mount-kit.
> With tangoGPS I had a lot of fun riding around town exploring new
> roads for Openstreetmap. ;)
> The next step would be a dynamo-powered charger for the Freerunner. I
> read an article in the german computer magazine ct [2] about creating
> a converter for charging USB devices while riding your bike with a
> hub-dynamo. The article provides detailed instructions for building it
> yourself, but I don't have the necessary soldering skills. So I'll
> have to ask soldering-experts... ;)

Interestingly, that's precisely the thing I had in mind. I just bought a
bike today, and am planning to somehow build the c't usb-charger for a bike
(probably with some friends with soldering-skills, too ;) ) some time in the
not too distant future. Maybe we can exchange experiences with that :)

> Happy ridin!
> André
> [1] description in german:
> [2] ct magazine 23/2007 page 190, german language
> (

So long,

Openmoko community mailing list
community at