Umlauts in Openmoko

Tobias Kündig tobias.kuendig at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 11:41:56 CEST 2008

Hello everyone!

I received my Freerunner from Pulster about a week ago! It's a really great
device and absolutely useful! Thanks to everyone who made this possible.

I just have one question: I'm living in Switzerland, so I type my SMS in
(Swiss) German. That's why it would be really useful to use Umlauts (ä, ö,
ü / Ä, Ö, Ü). Unfortunately Umlauts mess up the whole message text. They are
replaced by {, } or even stranger signs. If I send a message with Umlauts
from the freerunner, it is displayed correctly on the Freerunner but messed
up on the receiving device.

I _think_, this has something to do with encoding. Is it possible to patch
something so I can use Umlauts? Is it planned to include support for this
special chars by default?

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Tobias Kündig