firmware Re: IMEI

Michele Renda michele.renda at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 16:55:53 CEST 2008

Hi

The problem because the GSM chip has a closed firmware is because *laws*
in U.S. and I think also in other countries say that used must to to
have access to it.

Because it is a law, and Openmoko can not to go against laws, it was
told starting by day 1 that it will remain closed. It Openmoko would not
did so, it will be very difficult that it could get the FCC approvation
for its devices.

This law was done because a not running GSM firmware will not only make
your device not running, but also the devices that are near to you.

About the imei, I can confirm that is against laws to change it.

Regards
Michele Renda