Testing for audio playback

Dylan Reilly dreilly at atariland.net
Mon Aug 4 04:41:54 CEST 2008

Maybe this is more of a standard linux question, but I don't know the
answer regardless.

Is there a way to test if sound is actually being pumped through the
sound card? I can lsof various devices in /dev/snd or check
/proc/asound/card0/pcmXX/sub0/status but those only tell me if a
client is *connected*. Furthermore, I find it odd that the phone-kit
does not seem to go through the alsa pcm but is only connected to
/dev/snd/controlC0. Is there some way to know if the phone kit
actually active?

My ultimate goal is to stop the device from going into suspend mode
when sound is being played.

Dylan Maxwell Reilly