Testing for audio playback

Russell Sears sears at cs.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 4 20:56:18 CEST 2008

Just a heads up:  I think that checking the status won't work with
pulseaudio running under 2007.2, since pulseaudio continuously sends a
stream of zeros to the sound card.  I haven't tested it though.

(there is a pulseaudio configuration option for this.)

Also, I think having the applications disable suspend would be better
than letting some system-level daemon guess what the appropriate
behavior is.

Then audio activity and suspend wouldn't be coupled (eg: tangoGPS while
recording GPS tracks...).  Also, applications already communicate with
the rest of the system, so there's probably a framework for such hooks
somewhere.  For example, mediaplayer mutes/pauses when a phone call
comes in...

-Rusty