usb networking no longer works

Dimitri spam2 at
Wed Aug 6 08:13:30 CEST 2008

I've flashed the latest 2008.8 images, and the script I was previously using
to connect to the phone via usb no longer works.

What I used to run (with 2007.2 images) was the following script as sudo in

iptables -F
ifconfig usb0 netmask
route add usb0
iptables -I INPUT 1 -s -j ACCEPT
iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -s -j ACCEPT
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -s
bash -c echo '1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward'

But now, it fails with errors. I ran it, line by line, the first line that
fails is

ifconfig usb0 netmask

with the error:
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
usb0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device

What's going on?