[WORKS] Re: usb receptables from old motherboard => gender changer => usb host cable?

Andy Green andy at openmoko.com
Wed Aug 6 10:25:11 CEST 2008

| Sven Klomp <sven at klomp.de> writes:
|> Great, it's a handy solution.
|> If I connect 5V from external, I can charge the Neo? Can I break
something I
| Probably. Isn't the "Three-Headed Cable" chapter instructing you to do
| essentially the same thing? It's a shame that no motherboard has a set
| of _three_ USB receptables in a compact package :-)
|> tell the Neo to provide 5V (echo "1"
|>> /sys/devices/platform/neo1973-pm-host.0/hostmode) and add external
|> supply?
| That I do not know.

It obviously isn't recommended, but I tested it here some months ago and
it didn't make any smoke or heat.

But, you can't charge at all like that.  As soon as you set hostmode <-
1 then power path from USB socket to PMU is disabled (so it doesn't try
charge from its own generated power).

If you leave hostmode at 0, provide external power AND add 15K pulldowns
on D+ and D- externally, you can have your host cake and eat your
charger... er... well, have it both ways.

- -Andy
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)