Navit?

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Wed Aug 6 12:08:22 CEST 2008

arne anka wrote:
>> Forgive what is probably a dumb question (I'm not a coder), but how do I
>> install the libgps devel stuff? I noticed the section in the ToolChain
>>

> use your distro's package management to find "libgps" and "devel"
> this should give you one or more package names like
>
> libgps-devel
> or
> libgps-dev
>
> install it.
> with debian and apt i get
>
> $ apt-cache search libgps devel
> libgps-dev - C library for communicating with GPS devices (development
>
> files)
More (dumb?) questions:

(this is not really neccessary now, since harald's tarball works, but
out of interest / for future reference, it'd be nice to be able to build
it myself)

I'm using fedora, and doing a 'yum list available', I don't get anything
called 'libgps', but I do see:
gpsd.i386                                2.34-3.fc7             development
gpsd-clients.i386                        2.34-3.fc7             development
gpsd-devel.i386                          2.34-3.fc7             development

would this be the same thing with a different name, perchance?

and again, forgive me if I'm a moron, but I'm not sure how to reconcile
installing these packages with what it says on the toolchain wiki page
under 'Installing additional libraries into the toolchain', the wiki
page mentions doing:

./configure --host=arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi --prefix=/usr/local/openmoko/arm/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/usr
make
make install

but in my experience, things I install with yum are precompiled... would
I install the -devel package with yum and then use 'rpm -ql' (list
package files) to find the files I need? wouldn't I actually want to
install a source package (probably named something like "gpsd-src")?

Thanks,
-Dale