Testing for audio playback

Dylan Reilly dreilly at atariland.net
Wed Aug 6 22:19:26 CEST 2008

Here is my solution:

I have modified neod executables here
http://atariland.net/~dreilly/openmoko/neod/neod.tar.gz (source
http://atariland.net/~dreilly/openmoko/neod/neod-src.tar.gz) to call
out to a series of scripts
(http://atariland.net/~dreilly/openmoko/neod/neod-conf.tar.gz) before
and after every power management state (dim, blank, suspend). If the
preXXX scripts return a non-zero exit code, the power management step
will not be executed. See presuspend for an example.

The included presuspend does the following:
1) Does not suspend when on AC power.
2) Does not suspend when the media player is running.
3) Attempts to not suspend when making a phone call. Note, since I
cannot figure out a good way to check for this, I am looking for
phone-kit to have a certain processor load. This is bad.

Also in this neod one can set the times for each PM state via gconf:
/desktop/openmoko/neod/dim_time
/desktop/openmoko/neod/blank_time
/desktop/openmoko/neod/suspend_time

I am going on vacation in...2 minutes, so if you try it, beware. And,
with ASU release looming this is probably mostly for naught. Have fun.

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:17 AM, Clemens Kirchgatterer <clemens at 1541.org> wrote:
> Dale Maggee <antisol at internode.on.net> wrote:
>
>> Sorry but I can't help, but I just wanted to say good luck with this,
>> please keep us posted - I also find this annoying and I'd love to see
>> it fixed! :)
>
> AFAIK, alsa has a plugin interface. we could install one, that
> periodically snoops into the stream and reports silence/noise via dbus.
>
> just my 2 cents ...
> clemens

Dylan Maxwell Reilly