2.5mm neo to 3.5mm stereo adaptor

Benito Torres openmoko at mv.so36.net
Thu Aug 7 13:55:29 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 12:21 (+0200), elh wrote:
> > yeah but the distances don't match on a 2 ring adapter. L and R
> > Channel won't contact on the right place i think, but not sure.
> I can confirm this.

Me too. My cheap adaptor from the supermarket ("Watson 9612", not found
online) has two rings and connects only one channel (right ear) if
plugged in tightly. When fiddling around and pulling it a bit out
there's one position in which both channels are connected, but this
isn't usable for real life.

On the other hand the wiki says, that the stereo audio adapter for
Motorola MPx200/E398 would work[1].

The original adaptor from Motorola has 3 rings[3]. According to this
picture[2], there're also variants with 2 rings, though. Those probably
won't serve for headsets but only for listening.

But to make it complicated I found an adaptor with 3 rings which,
according to the shop's description, yet needs to be unplugged in order
to make a call or answer the phone[4].

As a obvious conclusion this means, that not only the number of rings
but also their position is important. And/or that we might not trust
those webshop pictures too much. (Wow, what a result for one hour
research...)

I think I'll try that 3-ring-adapter sold by handynow.de (link 4) and
post my experience to this thread later.

Bye,
/Ben

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Getting_Started_with_your_Neo_FreeRunner#Buttons_and_connectors
[2] http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/images/B000SO26JQ/sr=1-1/qid=1218106143/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=562066&s=ce-de&qid=1218106143&sr=1-1