Which AT&T data plans are compatible?

Federico Lorenzi florenzi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 21:55:21 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Matthew Lane <malane at purdue.edu> wrote:
> Instead of just tethering couldn't you set up a proxy server on your OM
> and since the user agent is in plain text, change firefox to minimo? I
> imagine the user agent signatures are pretty similar.

I had a similar situation with Vodafone in Italy. They disallowed
tethering and blocked all non port 80 / 443, and seemed to disallow
any other user agent strings besides mobile browesers. But if you have
a server somewhere that has SSH, an easy enough solution is just to
use ProxyTunnel to tunnel SSH over HTTPS (due to the way SSL proxies
work). For the real paranoid, check out SSH over SSL over SSL, where
you run your own SSL proxy server, which then gets connected to by the
network's proxy, and then forwards everything to your local SSH
server. This pretty much makes the traffic indestinguashable from
legit SSL traffic.

HTH,
Federico