Network over USB flaky ? - Re: Booting OM 2008.08 from SD - Re: Openmoko Om 2008.8 Release

Andy Green andy at
Sun Aug 10 10:01:21 CEST 2008

| I kept trying, rebooted, tested, again, again, unplugged USB,
| replugged... and TADA, at some point it magically worked !
| I've typed-in a few commands, got networking (opkg update completed),
| did a few more things... and ... it's now gone :(
| # ping
| PING ( 56(84) bytes of data.
| From icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
| From icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
| From icmp_seq=3 Destination Host Unreachable
| no kernel message on desktop side : usb not unplugged...
| I guess it's pretty flaky :( But still I see some (slow) progress ;)
| I guess screen will be my friend.

I would first guess this is simply the "ifconfig" to set Freerunner-side
IP getting messed with.  I really did not see flakiness of Ethernet over
USB and I understood there is new scheme for managing IP allocation in
this new rootfs.  If anyone with a debug board sees this behaviour, just
logging in on the debug serial console and doing ifconfig usb0 / route
- -n would clear it up if it is that.

- -Andy
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora -