Kernel and Dual booting

Andy Green andy at
Mon Aug 11 09:41:15 CEST 2008

| Mikael Berthe wrote:
|> Or is there a way to prevent opkg from flashing the kernel?  It would be
|> nice to upgrade /uImage.bin instead!
| I don't know of a way to do this at the moment, but it would be a nice
| enhancement. Perhaps the flashing script could check to see which device
| was mounted as the root filesystem, and only proceed with the flashing
| if it was a NAND partition (/dev/mtdblock?).

We started discussing this on devel list, I learned from Graeme that he
always stores the updated kernel in /boot/uImage.bin (and currently
blows the kernel partition too).  If you symlink /uImage.bin to point to
/boot/uImage.bin maybe it will square that part of the circle.

He did say he prefers the packaging to only affect one filesystem, so if
we do not blow the kernel partition at all if / is *mmcblk* then it will
be consistent.

- -Andy
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Fedora -