No pin dialog/ qpe

Lorn Potter lpotter at
Mon Aug 11 13:01:18 CEST 2008

Norbert Hartl wrote:
> What is qpe exactly doing? I noticed a lot of problems
> other people reporting like the no pin dialog. Looking
> at the device qpe uses 100% CPU for a long time. I don't
> understand it but the CPU usage of qpe is capable to slow
> down other things extremely. The SIM Pin dialog is working
> with the new firmware but delayed through qpe.
> Holger Freyther gave me the hint that it is looking for
> media on the SD card. In
> /opt/Qtopia/etc/default/Trolltech/Storage.conf

That is one possible thing it is doing at startup. The idea is that it
is a phone, and you only startup in rare instances.

> there is a section where qpe is configured for the media
> it should search. For the SD card every media type is
> activated. So the qpe searches the SD card after booting
> blocking a lot of other things. There are two issues for
> me:
> - it is discussable if these settings are useful as default
>   to search for media on the SD card. While being troublesome
>   I would be against it

If Qtopia is not allowed to search the SD card, it will not be able to
see/use files on it, so then why have it at all?

> - furthermore the SD card is configured as being removable
>   forcing the qpe to do the search every time being activated.
>   Removable can be interpret as two things. The card is removable
>   at runtime or it is removable at all. In the second case this
>   would be true for hard disks as well :)
>   If this is meant as something sensible at runtime this is a
>   misinterpretation. You have to shut down the freeunner to
>   remove the card so it is not really removable

But it _IS_ removable, losable and optional. The flash chip is not. As
well, you might have added files to it while you had it out.

Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, Trolltech, a Nokia company