GPRS / Wifi

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Aug 11 16:48:55 CEST 2008

On 11 Aug 2008, at 10:52, arne anka wrote:
> ...  all programs
> connecting to the net should be absolutely agnostic to the kind of
> connection you use.

What about the mail application? Every 5 minutes it should only check
for new messages if you're on your provider's own network, not when
you are on holiday in Spain. Thus when your contract's unlimited data
use applies you get immediate notification of new emails, yet you
don't get stung for $100s in roaming charges.

I described how the Nokia N95 handles this in my post of 10 August
2008 13:30:19 BST (search for "N95" in the subject) but perhaps not
very clearly, as I hoped for more replies. Apparently I wasted too
many paragraphs bitching about the Orange build of the Nokia
software. But I would LOVE to know how this can be handled on an
Openmoko device.

Stroller.