No pin dialog/ qpe

Norbert Hartl norbert at
Mon Aug 11 20:20:15 CEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 03:26 +1000, Lorn Potter wrote:
> Norbert Hartl wrote:

> >> That is one possible thing it is doing at startup. The idea is that it
> >> is a phone, and you only startup in rare instances.
> >>
> > If we take a stable phone than you are right.
> If you develop a phone for only developers, then thats what you get. A
> phone that only a small niche of developers are going to want to use.
Are you serious? It is no end-user device right now. The behaviour
at the moment prevents a lot of people to work with the freerunner
(use it as a phone) and therefor prevents acceptance. This change is
so easy to revert if the situation changes that I can't understand what
you are saying. In my understanding you are forcing a situation which
you state you want to avoid.

> > But at the moment
> > people need to start often and that leads to a situation where
> > these settings confuse a lot of people.
> Then take the SD card entry out of the conf file.
I have fixed it already on my freerunner. I just like to give feedback
to the community. In my opinion discussions make sense. I find
something, some discuss it and if it is a good idea than maybe a few
take responsibility and change the code base. If it doesn't work that
way I don't understand the whole thing. There is no need trying to
teach me, thank you.

> > It is even there if
> > you start your phone the first time. To raise user experience
> > this search should be delayed and it should be assured that this
> > search is happening on a very low priority so it does not block
> > anything. There could be even an indicator that is visually
> > announcing the search. But let us be realistic :)

> >> If Qtopia is not allowed to search the SD card, it will not be able to
> >> see/use files on it, so then why have it at all?
> >>
> > Because there is always something in between black and white. There
> > could be some intelligent way to detect when it is necessary to
> > refresh. And users are quite used to know that software is stupid
> > and they praise the existence of a manual trigger for such actions.
> The trigger is someone booting up, or inserting the SD card.

Then you know exactly what it does. What happens if a file is downloaded
from the internet and stored on the SD card? Does qpe recognizes this as
No matter what the answer is the current situation is not optimal. And I
would like to hear rather a proposal how to treat that instead of
getting an explanation about "how _it_ works [tm]". Thanks again!