Intel Atom

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at
Thu Aug 14 06:53:19 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Brad Midgley <bmidgley at> wrote:
> I've heard the support chips for atom have not been optimized for
> saving power yet, so it may be another generation before atom +
> chipset + solid state drive will be within any kind of reasonable
> power budget for a handheld.

Yeah no kidding...

See how the "entire system" power is 60 watts max, and doesn't vary
much with the load?  and here:

funny how the chipset has a big heatsink with a fan, while the
processor has a small heatsink and no fan.  :-)  At least they are
competing favorably with VIA for the mini-ITX boards though.