Illume patch/question

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Thu Aug 14 09:35:37 CEST 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 22:07:09 +0200 Thomas Köckerbauer <tkoeck at gup.jku.at>
babbled:

thanks for the patch! it's now in svn. i've combined thins with the FSO patches
and "hope" that they will work with FSO (i don't know). i can confirm they work
with qtopia. i made the font smaller and aligned it to the top-right of the
gadget - it does overflow, but it's hard really to cram text without either
resizing the gadget or having a popup, as you mentioned. the popup also isn't a
useful continual status meter as it either pops up briefly when network status
changes, or you need to click to get it - that's fine, just no popup code
there. i do need to make that gagdet better - stefan was going to remove gsmget
as everything is now dbus and there is no need for a slave process to fetch
status (to avoid blocking the main UI loop). when there is finally a stable
working network manager (wifi connector) api going (connman is good - but
having lots of issues with connman, hald and wpa_supplication as well as kernel
and the atheros wifi all liking eachother). wifiget exists because it drops
down to the lowest layer (netlink socket to kernel), just rummages and finds a
wifi device and gets current signal status every few seconds. it works
irrespective of whatever management layer above exists. batget is from e - the
standard battery meter that also slaves off blocking reads. on a todo list is
to support hal's power management messages - but it's never been an urgent
issue ad batget supports pretty much every power/battery system in exsistence
(from old apm, acpi, /sys/class/power, bsd power api's, powerbook and even
OSX), so it's just never been an urgent issue to solve.

anyway.. patches are now in svn (as promised). they don't break anything -
extend functionality (i've seen it working.. but right now qtopia doesn't want
to talk to my sim card... switched sim card to a local one).

so cool! thanks! :) well done!