GPRS under FSO [Was: Re: What could be done to improve the OM development process?]

Russell Sears sears at
Thu Aug 14 19:08:39 CEST 2008

Benito wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 14:06 (-0700), Russell Sears wrote:
>>> It works immediatly with FSO and I could phone while GPRS is on.
>> Really?!?  How?  Is there a GUI somewhere, or did you edit the PPP
>> scripts to enter your provider settings?
> See
> The script works flawless here, too.

I was beginning to think my GPRS modem was busted. ;)  I wonder if power
management is working yet.  The pppd docs say leaving gprs on eats lots
of power.  (The whole battery in 2 hours...)

The wiki page says that it doesn't interfere with phone calls, but
doesn't go into more detail.

Anyway, [music|gps] + gprs + phone seem to play nice in FSO.  (I hacked
up a openmoko-mediaplayer package.  Headphone insertion isn't detected
yet, but it does mute/stop the music when you pick up the phone).

Now I just need music and tangogps to work at the same time.  The
framework gps thing is a CPU hog, as is ogg/gstreamer...