Intel Atom

James Thomas Snell james at
Thu Aug 14 22:29:41 CEST 2008

I totally think running an x86 CPU in the phone would be great for opening
up possibilities for hobbyist developers. ARM may be more efficient but if
this project is meant to really enable DIY projects, I think x86 would be

Part of what we've got to also keep in mind is that the power specs we see
now are for today - where are they going to be in a year? What has the trend
for improvement been? Perhaps if there's a strong relationship with Intel to
be leveraged, we could ping them on the idea. If we can deliver them a list
of power requirements it's possible they may be very interested in finding
little tweaks and offering suggestions on how to make that work.

I'm all for x86 on the phone. I think it'd only serve to open the platform
up even more and isn't that more or less the point?