Use gps for clock correction

Harald Koenig koenig at
Fri Aug 15 14:41:57 CEST 2008

On Aug 14, Russell Sears wrote:

> > GPS would be perfect for updating time, cause the time sent is more
> > exact then the times, you can get by any other way. What about ntpd, can
> > it handle gps-data?

ntp has full gps/nmea support, even with PPS:

> Does the FR have access to the PPS signal from the GPS chip?  That might

if not, please add that feature request for GTA03++ !

is there a chance to solder a wire from ublox to some free digital input line
which can trigger an interrupt (serial handshake line or similar) for gta02 ?
having PPS would be really nice...

> I wonder how hard it would be to add GSM time broadcast support to NTP...

I've been told that time quality of GSM is (or at least has been?) _very_ bad,
(errors from seconds to minutes, at least on germany) ?!?
not exactly what you'd expect as time source for ntp then ;-)

"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\
Donald E. Knuth, 02-Oct-2001 in Tuebingen.        <_/  /  /OOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                    \  \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
                                                      \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
Harald Koenig                                           //  /     \\  \
koenig at                     ^^^^^       ^^^^^