Customize Debian image in a mini desktop

Michele Renda michele.renda at
Wed Aug 20 09:28:53 CEST 2008

Playing with Debian at FR I flight with some problem, and now, because I
found a solution, I'd like to share with community.

After I installed Debian, it was launching by default zhone. For now I
need more a palm, than a phone so I list here all the changes I made to
make it usable for me. I hope it can be useful for somehone

I installed Debian according the ufficial procedure. Then with
ctrl+alt+x I entered in a terminal.

With these commands (or in a simplier way, with a ssh) I installed these
programs (check internet connectivity)

apt-get install aptitude

aptitude install xfce abiword gnumeric pidgin tangogps gpsd sonata mpd

Then I used the Sebastian Ohl's patch have a left click:

(thank you again Sebastian)

after I installed it with:

dpkg --install xserver-xorg-input-tslib_0.0.4-5+fso2_armel.deb

I have also to recalibrate the screen:

mv pointercal /etc/pointercal

Then I liked to start my FR direct in XFCE, without passing by zhone:

Editing /usr/bin/zhone-session

and trasform is something like this:

exec startxfce4 &
matchbox-keyboard-toggle &
exec matchbox-window-manager -use_titlebar yes

(the last yes is to have a close button, I like it more :) )

Ps. I think is better to fix the dimension of the font and of the icons
(I have 48)

I took part of the information from the official Debian guide for FR and
from here: (Have a look
there to know how to fix sound and gps, I didn't tried).

I hope it help someone.

Best regards
Michele Renda

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)